Register FREE to watch:
Chronic Illness in Practice: The Missing Piece of the Puzzle
Now available to watch on demand!
Presented by Claire Hodgson
About the webinar
Wellness in the workplace has been much discussed over the last few years. There is an increasing awareness in the profession of the importance of protecting and improving our mental health but less attention has been paid to physical well-being. There are many veterinary professionals in the UK living with chronic illness and disability, but their needs are often poorly understood, and they are frequently subject to discrimination are often poorly serviced in practice.
This webinar will give you an introduction to what it is like to live with chronic illness, how you can support colleagues who are living with physical ill-health, and how you can build a supportive and inclusive workplace environment.
- To understand that chronic illness is common among veterinary professionals.
- To understand that most chronic illness is invisible, and sufferers may find it difficult to share what they are going through.
- To understand how living with chronic illness affects every aspect of life, including our life at work.
- To learn how to support veterinary staff living and working with chronic illness.
- To learn how to guide the rest of the veterinary team to create a workplace that supports every team member’s physical health needs.
Simply enter your email address below to register to watch this free CPD webinar on demand:
The data collected here will be used for purposes relating to this webinar only (confirmation of registration, attendance reminders, issuing CPD certificates and account creation to access recordings) unless indicated otherwise by you.
About the speaker
I have been in clinical practice for 20+ years and have worn many hats starting in mixed practice, then equine only where I studied to gaining my CertAVP (EM). For the last 3 years I have been working as a small animal locum as this gives me autonomy over my time and hours worked allowing me to better balance my health needs.
Six years ago I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), it was in some ways a relief to finally have an explanation for many problems I had been having for some time. This was the start of a journey to understand how best to manage my health and work.
In 2018 I cofounded the Facebook community I provide a safe space and peer-peer support for all those in the veterinary profession with chronic illness and disability. From this group we have launched the charity BVCIS (British Veterinary Chronic Illness Support) whose aims are two fold:
1. To provide resources, support and signposting for individuals with Chronic illness and disability and those that employ or work with them
2. To provide a formal voice to advocate for those with chronic illness and disability and raise awareness of the challenges and barriers they face